Slippery Situations Call For A Slip Resistant Solution
Have you ever walked across a floor that looked normal but suddenly you felt your feet going out from under you? Yes, you can encounter slick floors or slick tile anytime.
Slippery Situations in the Home:
We have products for many floor types. If you have any of the following types please follow the link to your page. (These floor surfaces require a special product)
Slippery floors can be anywhere. That is why we have anti slip floor treatment products.
We all know that shower floors can be a real hazard. For older people slick tile or slick floors are just plain dangerous. That's why many hospitals and nursing homes add plenty of hand rails for added security when moving around showers and commodes. It's just common sense.
And an accident can happen when you least expect it. They can even happen during normal walking and on surfaces that may not look slippery at first glance."
Your Bathroom Can Be Dangerous to Loved Ones
It's all too common to hear about someone who has slipped and had a fall on slick tile in the bathroom. Even though most of the time the injuries are not fatal they can be serious... especially for an older person with fragile bones.
It can also be an issue for people with balance problems, vertigo, or muscle weakness. Falling is a significant issue among the elderly or infirm especially in the bathroom.
Many times we have gotten up in the middle of the night perhaps a bit disoriented, dizzy or still half asleep. If you take medications or maybe have not hydrated yourself throughout the day you can wake up disoriented.
Parents May Have Moved In
Many of us are having to give more assistance to our parents or even have them move in with us. Sometimes this means a safety check of our bathrooms.
Here's some possible additions that you can make to your bath tub to make it safer for all. (First and Foremost we recommend out Slip Resistant Solution's porcelain bathtub safety treatment.)
- Grab bars to assist when getting in or out of showers, tubs, and commode because bathrooms are known for slippery floors. There are some that actually clip on the edge of the tub. Don't scrimp here. Get the best quality you can find. Ask others what they have used.
- Use of an adjustable shower bench or chair. A shower bench will extend out over the edge of the tub making it possible to sit and slide in rather than step over the tub edge. Add a hand held shower device to use in combination with a shower bench or chair that is mounted within easy reach. Avoid over-reach.
- Use rubber bath mat or stickers. (Some tubs and shower inserts come with textured floor surfaces). )Our bathtub treatment is permanent however.
- Consider the use of non-skid mesh shower slippers that you actually wear into the tub or shower.
In regards to a general bathroom environment:
- Use non-slip rugs or mats and use as few as possible. Remove rugs which bunch up and could be tripped over. Stick with non-slip rugs which lay flat and have a very short pile made specifically for the bathroom. Don't use towels as a substitute for a bonified bath mat!!!
- Consider a grab bar next to the toilet. For those with muscle weakness it helps to have something to pull up on or to assist with balance while manipulating clothing.
- Make sure the lighting is adequate. Nice and bright.
- An exhaust fan can prevent steam build-up. A quiet one is nice too especially when you are trying to communicate with someone.
- You can add a treatment product to your ceramic tile floors that actually reduce the danger of slick tile. We just happen to offer this product at Slip Resistant Solutions. Take a look at our products to learn more.
Slippery Floors Throughout The Home
But where there is a beautiful shine there may also be danger. A little water or the wrong footwear is all it takes to turn a beautiful hallway into a slippery floor hazard.
But there is something you can do. And it won't effect the beauty of those floors. Our Treatment Products can actually make any floor less slippery.
The process actually changes the friction properties of your floors. Click here to learn more about how the process works.
And don't forget about pool decks. This is a common place for accidents, especially to children who are unaware of the dangers of slip and fall accidents. Treating these surfaces is also important for protecting loved ones.
Slippery Situations In Restaurants, Stores, Manufacturers and Other Businesses
If you own a restaurant, retail store, supermarket, manufacturing business, or any business that caters to the public at your place of business, you certainly are aware of the possibility of a slip and fall accident. You are also probably well aware of your liability.
And surprisingly, your responsibility covers a lot of ground. Not only must you provide proper maintenance of slipping situations but you must also be sure your employees know how to react to accidents that might happen.
Kinds of Falls
Same-surface falls can be classified into four categories:
1. Trip-and-fall accidents, in which pedestrians encounter a foreign object in their walking path;
2. Stump-and-fall accidents, in which a moving foot encounters an impediment in the walking surface, whether it is a tacky point on the surface or a defect that impedes the foot;
3. Step-and-fall accidents, in which the foot finds an unexpected failure or hole in the walking surface; and
4. Slip-and-fall accidents, in which the interface of the shoe and the floor fails to support the walker's center of gravity over the base area.
The slip and fall is the most common accident. Foot contact is broken, and the individual attempts to right himself or herself.
For the business owner, and especially the small business owner, a slip and fall accident is serious. Slip and fall accidents are among the most common injuries in workplaces and can lead to fractured bones, brain injuries, and even fatalities.
In many cases, they can also lead to lawsuits, especially if your customers or employees are the ones injured. During the winter months, slip and fall accidents are especially common because of ice and snow and generally wet situations.
What Business Owners Can Do About Slippery Situations
There are several things that business owners can do to help prevent such accidents:
- Look for common problems of slip and fall and trip and fall accidents. Slippery surfaces, spills, weather problems, loose mats or carpeting, poor visibility, bad lighting, clutter, cables or wires, and uneven floors can all cause slips. When you notice these hazards in the workplace, remove the problem at once or at least put up signs warning others of the problem. For example, you might not be able to correct a leaky pipe that is causing a puddle on the floor right away, but do make sure that there is a visible "caution" sign showing the danger.
- Regularly walk through your workplace, looking for potential problem areas. Unless you do this, it's easy to overlook potential dangers.
- Do regular maintenance on flooring and outdoor walking surfaces. Treating floors to make them slip resistant and using a good degreaser on a daily basis and correcting any unevenness can help ensure that falls are at a minimum. This is where Slip Resistant Solutions can help.
- Set some ground rules for employees. Publish a manual, instructing employees how to stay safe in the workplace. Suggest practical shoes and establish guidelines for how employees should deal with dangerous situations. For example, you may wish to stipulate that employees keep their workplace clear or ask management to reach items in tall places.
- Keep good documentation of your efforts. Keep written records of your walk-through of the workplace, of the maintenance work you do on your business, and the employee manual you have. If you do face problems, showing your careful attempts to prevent injury will be very useful.
- Get employees to report potential problems to you. Have a formal system whereby employees can report potential problems to you without fear of retribution.
- Get excellent liability insurance – and hope you never need to use it. Hopefully, you will never need to have liability coverage. If you do need it, though, it is helpful if you have excellent coverage that really protects you.
What are risky conditions?
In general they could be related to snow, bad lighting, icy surfaces, wet surface conditions, cracks, gaps or breaks in floors, uneven pavement or poorly installed expansion joints. If any of these conditions apply in your circumstances, there is a good chance a personal slip and fall claim is eligible for compensation from the courts for things such as pain and suffering and medical expenses.
Depending on the nature and extent of the injuries sustained as a result of a slip and fall accident, other areas that may qualify for compensation are lost wages and rehabilitation. This means that you need to keep good records in order to protect yourself from a claim.
Understand as well that liability in these cases is not always laid at the doorstep of the landowner. The law is written in such a way as to protect the owner, meaning the plaintiff needs to prove the business owner was negligent.
At least as long as the business owner has done their due-diligence